- 1991-1992、1995-1996 華盛頓大學哲學、神經科學、心理學博士學位肄業
- 1974.08-1987.08 匹茲堡大學哲學、心理人類學博士學位
- 1971.08-1973.12 印第安那大學醫學院預科學士學位
- 1967-1971 聖路易大學附屬高中
Current Employment: Joint Appointment (Taipei Medical University and Academia Sinica)
Primary Appointments (Taipei Medical University)
- Philosophy of Mind Chaired Professorship (August 1, 2012-)
- Dean, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (August 1, 2014-)
- Director, Brain and Consciousness Research Center (March 1, 2015-)
- Advisor, Office of Research, Shuang Ho Hospital (August 1, 2015-)
Secondary Appointment (Academia Sinica)
- Research Fellow, Institute of European and American Studies. January 1, 2013-
Associate Editor: Consciousness and Cognition. October, 2016-
Prior Academic Employment:
- 2012-2015 (Offer declined) Joint Appointment: Professor in the Graduate Institute of Neuroscience and Principal Investigator for the Research Center for Mind, Brain and Learning, at National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan (Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, National Chengchi University—1984-2012)
- Associate Dean, College of Science, National Chengchi University
- 2008-2012 Adjunct Professor: Department of Philosophy, National Chung Cheng University (Chiayi, Taiwan)
- 2006-2008 Chief, Office of Academic Evaluation, National Chengchi University
- 1992-2008 Adjunct Professor: Department of Philosophy, National Chengchi University
- 1995-1996 Instructor, Washington University in St. Louis
- 1986-1987 Instructor, University of Pittsburgh
- 1981-1984 Visiting Research Associate, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- 1980 Instructor, University of Maryland
- 1979 Instructor, Duquesne University
- 1974-1978 Teaching and Research Fellow, University of Pittsburgh
- 2012- 臺北醫學大學心智哲學講座教授
- 2014-2015 田納西州立大學傑出講座獎
- 2014 臺北醫學大學大型研究計畫獎
- 2012-2015 國立政治大學神經科學研究所特聘教授(婉拒此職)
- 2012-2013 國科會獎勵特殊優秀人才
- 2012 國立政治大學學術研究特優獎
- 2012 國家科學委員會傑出研究獎
- 2011-2012 國科會獎勵特殊優秀人才
- 2010-2011 國立政治大學學術研究獎
- 2007 學術研究成果國際化優等研究獎
- 2006 教育部人文社會學科學術強化創新計畫
- 2002-2003 國立政治大學教學特優獎
- 1984-1985 Pacific-Cultural Foundation Fellow
- 1982-1984 National Institute of Mental Health Fellow
- 1981-1982 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellow
- 1976-1978 National Defense Education Act Fellow
- 1971-1973 Joseph and Frances Morgan-Swain Fellow
- 1967-1971 國家榮譽學會
Recent Published and Forthcoming Manuscripts:
(In preparation) Baseline alpha-band spectral power differences predict susceptibility to the rubber hand illusion.
(In preparation) Neuroexistentialism, Eudaimonics, and Positive Illusions.
(Under review) Indication of Dynamic Neurovascular Coupling from Inconsistency Between EEG and fMRI Indices Across Sleep– Wake States. (Corresponding author)
(Under review) Thought-related network connectivity predicts sertraline effect on major depressive disorder. (Co-authored with Hsu, Wu, et al.)
(Under review) Thalamus-SACC-Insula Connection is a Central Neuronal Signature of Consciousness. (Co-authored with Qin, Northoff, et al.)
(Under review) Intrinsic brain activity of subcortical-cortical sensorimotor system and psychomotor alterations in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. (Co-authored with Martino, Magioncalda, et al.)
- 2019 (May 31). Abnormal functional relationship of sensorimotor network with neurotransmitter-related nuclei via subcortical-cortical loops in manic and depressive phases of bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia Bulletin, ,sbz035, https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbz035 (Co-authored with Martino, Magioncalda, Conio, et al.)
- 2019 (April) Instability of brain connectivity during nonrapid eye movement sleep reflects altered properties of information integration. Human Brain Mapping. https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.24590 (Co-authored with Kung, Wu, et al.)
- 2018 (July) Strong Circadian Rhythms in the Choroid Plexus: Implications for Sleep-Independent Brain Metabolite Clearance. Journal of experimental neuroscience. https://doi.org/10.1177/1179069518783762 (Co-authored with Myung, Wu, and Simmoneaux)
- 2018 (June) The neurophysiological basis of the discrepancy between objective and subjective sleep during sleep onset period: an EEG-fMRI study. Sleep 41, zsy056, https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsy056 (Corresponding author)
- 2018 (May) Vascular-metabolic and GABAergic inhibitory correlates of neural variability modulation. A combined fMRI and PET study. Neuroscience 379, 142-151, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.02.041 (Corresponding author)
- 2018 (March) Measuring Consciousness. Scientific American (Taiwan Edition) 193, 38-42. (Co-authored with P. Tseng, C. Wu, T. Hsu, J. Myung, N. Duncan)
- 2018 (February 15) Abnormal resting state connectivity in a substantia nigra-related striato-thalamo cortical network in a large sample of first-episode drug naïve patients with Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 44(2):419-431. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx067 (Co-authored with Matino, Magioncalda, et al.)
- 2018 (January 13) Too fast or too slow? Time and neuronal variability in bipolar disorder—A combined theoretical and empirical investigation. (Co-authored with Northoff, Magioncalda, et al.) Schizophrenia Bulletin 44(1):54-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx050
- 2017 (December 12) Switching to the rubber hand. Frontiers in Psychology—Cognitive Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.02172 (Equal contribution and corresponding author)
- 2017 (October) Cerebral blood flow autoregulation is impaired in schizophrenia: A pilot study. Schizophrenia Research 188:63-67. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2017.01.015 (Co-authored with Ku, et al.)
- 2017 (April 2) Philosophy and Psychiatry: Problems, intersections, and new perspectives. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 16(4). https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/philosophy-and-psychiatry-problems-intersections-and-new-perspectives/ (Single author)
- 2017 Timing disownership experiences in the rubber hand illusion. Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications 2(1) 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41235-016-0041-4 (First and corresponding author)
- 2017 (January 5) Attention and memory-driven effects in action studies. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 39, e259. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X15002575 (Corresponding author)
- 2016 (July) The trajectory of self. Cell: Trends in cognitive sciences. 20, 7, 481-482. (First and corresponding author).
- 2016 Spontaneous activity in default-mode network predicts ascription of self-relatedness to stimuli. Social Cognitive Affective Neuroscience 11, 4, 693-702. (Co-authored with P. Qin, G. Northoff, et al.)
- 2016 Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. Academic Press. (Co-edited with T. W. Hung.)
- 2016 Rationality and its contexts. In Hung, T. W. and Lane, T. Eds. Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. Elsevier-Oxford. pp. 3-13. (Single author)
- 2016 Are depressive ruminations rational? In Hung, T. W. and Lane, T. Eds. Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. Elsevier-Oxford.(First and corresponding author) pp. 119-143.
- 2016 Resting state glutamate predicts pre-stimulus alpha increase during self-relatedness - A combined EEG-MRS study on rest-self overlap. Social Neuroscience 11, 3, 249-263 (Corresponding author)
- 2015 Self, belonging, and conscious experience: A critique of subjectivity theories of consciousness. In R. Gennaro, Ed. Disturbed Consciousness: New Essays on Psychopathology and Theories of Consciousness. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. pp. 103-140. (Single author)
- 2015 GABAA Receptor Deficits Predict Recovery in Patients With Disorders of Consciousness: A Preliminary Multimodal [11C] Flumazenil PET and fMRI Study. Human Brain Mapping 36, 10, 3867-3877 (Co-authored with P. Qin, G. Northoff, et al.)
- 2014 When actions feel alien: An explanatory model. In Hung, T. W. Ed. Communicative Action. Springer Science+Business Media. pp. 53-74. (Single author)
- 2012 Timing the rubber hand illusion: Owning the rubber hand involves substitution, not addition. Perception (Supplement), 41, 212. (Co-authored with Su-Ling Yeh and An-Yi Chang.
- 2012 Toward an Explanatory Framework for Mental Ownership. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 11(2): 251-286. (Single author)
- 2011 Self-Consciousness and Immunity. The Journal of Philosophy 108, 2: 78-99. (First and corresponding author)
- 2010 The Threshold of Wakefulness, the Experience of Control, and Theory Development. Consciousness and Cognition 19: 1095-1096. (Co-authored with C. M. Yang)
- 2010 What Subjective Experiences Determine the Perception of Falling Asleep During the Sleep Onset Period? Consciousness and Cognition 19: 1084-1092. (Co-authored with C. M. Yang et al.)
- 2010 The Ethics of False Belief. EurAmerica Vol. 40, 3: 591-633. (Single author)
- 2010 Issues at the Intersection of Ethics, Evolution, and Neuroscience. EurAmerica 40, 3: 519-527. (Single author)
- 2010 Mental Ownership and Higher-Order Thought Analysis (July) 70, 3: 496-501. (First and corresponding author)
- 2009 Higher-Order Thought and Pathological Selves: The Case of Somatoparaphrenia. Analysis (October) 69: 661-668. (Corresponding author and equal contribution)
- 2008 Higher-Order Thought and the Problem of Radical Confabulation The Southern Journal of Philosophy XLVI (1): 69-98. (First and corresponding author)
- National Defense Education Act Fellowship (USA), 1976-1978.
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship (USA), 1981-1982.
- National Institute of Mental Health Fellowship (USA), 1982-1984. (1 F31 MH 08417-01)
- Pacific-Cultural Foundation Fellowship, 1984-1985.
- Washington University in St. Louis (St. Louis, MO, USA) Fellowship, 1991-1992 & 1995-1996.
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2008-2011. Title:“Self and Conscious Experience.”Grant Number: 97-2410-H-004-154-MY3. Amount: 70,290 (USD).
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2011-2014. Title:“Belongingness:
- the mental ownership theory and research program.”Grant Number: 100-2410-H-004-139-MY3. Amount: 83,419 (USD)
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2014. Title:“Does neural activity during reward predict self-relatedness?”Grant Number: 102-2420-H-038-002-MY2. Amount: 79, 354 (USD)
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2015. Title:“Self, Consciousness, and Neurophilosophy.”Grant Number: 102-2420-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 67, 290 (USD)
- PI—Taipei Medical University, Laboratory Start-Up Grant, 2013-2014.
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2016. Title: “Cultivation of Young Scholars: Philosophy of Consciousness.” Grant Number 102-2420-H-038-004-MY3. Amount: 350,290 (USD)
- PI—Taipei Medical University, Research Team Grant (Brain and Consciousness), 2013-2015, Amount: 58,064 (USD)
- Co-PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2015. “The neurophysiological basis of consciousness transition during sleep onset period: an fMRI study.” MOST 103-2420-H-004-MY2. Amount: 72,096 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2015.“Predictions of therapeutic effects of Zolpidem in disorders of consciousness patients—a multimodal imaging study.” Grant Number: MOST 103-2811-H-038 -002. Amount: 29,742 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2017. Title:“An fMRI Study of Moral Judgment: The modulating effects of emotion and religious belief.” Grant Number: MOST 104-2420-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 122,806 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2016-2017. Title:“Predicting Therapeutic Effects of Zolpidem in Disorders of Consciousness Patients.” Grant Number: MOST 105-2410-H-038-004-MY1. Amount: 33,612.903 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2016-2019. Title:“A Multi-Modal Investigation of Self-Consciousness in Major Depressive Disorder.” Grant Number: MOST 105-2632-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 218,935 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2017-2020. Title:“Predicting Therapeutic Effects of Zolpidem in Disorders of Consciousness Patients.” Grant Number: 106-2410-H-038-003-MY3. Amount: 150,000 (USD).
Abnormal Functional Relationship of Sensorimotor Network With Neurotransmitter-Related Nuclei via Subcortical-Cortical Loops in Manic and Depressive Phases of Bipolar DisorderMartino, M., Magioncalda, P., Conio, B., Capobianco, L., Russo, D., Adavastro, G., Tumati, S., Tan, Z., Lee, H-C., Lane, T. J., Amore, M., Inglese, M. & Northoff, G., 五月 31 2019, 於 : Schizophrenia Bulletin. 12 p.
研究成果: 雜誌貢獻 › 文章
Instability of brain connectivity during nonrapid eye movement sleep reflects altered properties of information integrationKung, Y. C., Li, C. W., Chen, S., Chen, S. C. J., Lo, C. Y. Z., Lane, T. J., Biswal, B., Wu, C. W. & Lin, C. P., 八月 1 2019, 於 : Human Brain Mapping. 40, 11, p. 3192-3202 11 p.
研究成果: 雜誌貢獻 › 文章
Abnormal Resting-State Connectivity in a Substantia Nigra-Related Striato-Thalamo-Cortical Network in a Large Sample of First-Episode Drug-Naïve Patients With SchizophreniaMartino, M., Magioncalda, P., Yu, H., Li, X., Wang, Q., Meng, Y., Deng, W., Li, Y., Li, M., Ma, X., Lane, T., Duncan, N. W., Northoff, G. & Li, T., 二月 15 2018, 於 : Schizophrenia Bulletin. 44, 2, p. 419-431 13 p.
研究成果: 雜誌貢獻 › 文章
Strong Circadian Rhythms in the Choroid Plexus: Implications for Sleep-Independent Brain Metabolite ClearanceMyung, J., Wu, D., Simonneaux, V. & Lane, T. J., 六月 26 2018, 於 : Journal of Experimental Neuroscience. 12
研究成果: 雜誌貢獻 › 評論/辯論
The neurophysiological basis of the discrepancy between objective and subjective sleep during the sleep onset period: An EEG-fMRI studyHsiao, F. C., Tsai, P. J., Wu, C. W., Yang, C. M., Lane, T. J., Lee, H. C., Chen, L. C., Lee, W. K., Lu, L. H. & Wu, Y. Z., 六月 1 2018, 於 : Sleep. 41, 6, zsy056.
研究成果: 雜誌貢獻 › 文章