When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed: A single-center observational study

Shuo Ju Chiang, Masao Daimon, Sakiko Miyazaki, Takayuki Kawata, Ryoko Morimoto-Ichikawa, Masaki Maruyama, Hirotoshi Ohmura, Katsumi Miyauchi, Seitetsu L. Lee, Hiroyuki Daida

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The development of clinical symptoms is associated with cardiovascular events in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). Thus, early diagnosis of AS is clinically important. However, there are few data on symptom status or the severity of AS when patients are first diagnosed, or on how AS is detected in routine practice. We aimed to investigate when and how AS patients are first diagnosed in our hospital. Methods: We retrospectively enrolled 198 AS patients diagnosed from 1989 to 2009, and identified their symptoms and AS severity at the time of the first diagnosis. We also assessed the reasons why they came to the hospital based on their medical records. Results: Of the 198 patients, 82 (41.6%) had voluntarily visited or been referred to our hospital after developing clinical symptoms (Symptomatic group). The remaining 116 patients (58.4%) had been asymptomatic, and cardiovascular disease was suspected during an annual or occasional health checkup (Asymptomatic group). The initial findings in the Asymptomatic group that led to the diagnosis of AS were: a systolic murmur on auscultation (62%), abnormal electrocardiography (27%), or abnormal echocardiography (11%). The Symptomatic group had significantly greater AS severity and an increased left ventricular mass index, and experienced more cardiac events (valve replacement or cardiac death) during the follow-up period. Conclusions: About 40% of the AS patients in this study were not diagnosed until they developed clinical symptoms, suggesting that many other patients in the community might have a latent risk of cardiovascular events. Auscultation plays an important role in the early diagnosis of AS.

Original languageEnglish
JournalJournal of Cardiology
DOIs
Publication statusAccepted/In press - Jun 2 2015
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Aortic Valve Stenosis
Observational Studies
Auscultation
Early Diagnosis
Systolic Murmurs
Asymptomatic Diseases
Heart Valves
Medical Records
Echocardiography
Electrocardiography
Cardiovascular Diseases

Keywords

  • Aortic stenosis
  • Auscultation
  • Diagnosis
  • Symptom
  • Valve

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Chiang, S. J., Daimon, M., Miyazaki, S., Kawata, T., Morimoto-Ichikawa, R., Maruyama, M., ... Daida, H. (Accepted/In press). When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed: A single-center observational study. Journal of Cardiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007

When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed : A single-center observational study. / Chiang, Shuo Ju; Daimon, Masao; Miyazaki, Sakiko; Kawata, Takayuki; Morimoto-Ichikawa, Ryoko; Maruyama, Masaki; Ohmura, Hirotoshi; Miyauchi, Katsumi; Lee, Seitetsu L.; Daida, Hiroyuki.

In: Journal of Cardiology, 02.06.2015.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chiang, SJ, Daimon, M, Miyazaki, S, Kawata, T, Morimoto-Ichikawa, R, Maruyama, M, Ohmura, H, Miyauchi, K, Lee, SL & Daida, H 2015, 'When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed: A single-center observational study', Journal of Cardiology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007
Chiang SJ, Daimon M, Miyazaki S, Kawata T, Morimoto-Ichikawa R, Maruyama M et al. When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed: A single-center observational study. Journal of Cardiology. 2015 Jun 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007
Chiang, Shuo Ju ; Daimon, Masao ; Miyazaki, Sakiko ; Kawata, Takayuki ; Morimoto-Ichikawa, Ryoko ; Maruyama, Masaki ; Ohmura, Hirotoshi ; Miyauchi, Katsumi ; Lee, Seitetsu L. ; Daida, Hiroyuki. / When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed : A single-center observational study. In: Journal of Cardiology. 2015.
@article{8faa0f3fdcd342d88eaabd5f2b80e9ae,
title = "When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed: A single-center observational study",
abstract = "Background: The development of clinical symptoms is associated with cardiovascular events in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). Thus, early diagnosis of AS is clinically important. However, there are few data on symptom status or the severity of AS when patients are first diagnosed, or on how AS is detected in routine practice. We aimed to investigate when and how AS patients are first diagnosed in our hospital. Methods: We retrospectively enrolled 198 AS patients diagnosed from 1989 to 2009, and identified their symptoms and AS severity at the time of the first diagnosis. We also assessed the reasons why they came to the hospital based on their medical records. Results: Of the 198 patients, 82 (41.6{\%}) had voluntarily visited or been referred to our hospital after developing clinical symptoms (Symptomatic group). The remaining 116 patients (58.4{\%}) had been asymptomatic, and cardiovascular disease was suspected during an annual or occasional health checkup (Asymptomatic group). The initial findings in the Asymptomatic group that led to the diagnosis of AS were: a systolic murmur on auscultation (62{\%}), abnormal electrocardiography (27{\%}), or abnormal echocardiography (11{\%}). The Symptomatic group had significantly greater AS severity and an increased left ventricular mass index, and experienced more cardiac events (valve replacement or cardiac death) during the follow-up period. Conclusions: About 40{\%} of the AS patients in this study were not diagnosed until they developed clinical symptoms, suggesting that many other patients in the community might have a latent risk of cardiovascular events. Auscultation plays an important role in the early diagnosis of AS.",
keywords = "Aortic stenosis, Auscultation, Diagnosis, Symptom, Valve",
author = "Chiang, {Shuo Ju} and Masao Daimon and Sakiko Miyazaki and Takayuki Kawata and Ryoko Morimoto-Ichikawa and Masaki Maruyama and Hirotoshi Ohmura and Katsumi Miyauchi and Lee, {Seitetsu L.} and Hiroyuki Daida",
year = "2015",
month = "6",
day = "2",
doi = "10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007",
language = "English",
journal = "Journal of cardiography. Supplement",
issn = "0914-5087",
publisher = "Japanese College of Cardiology (Nippon-Sinzobyo-Gakkai)",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - When and how aortic stenosis is first diagnosed

T2 - A single-center observational study

AU - Chiang, Shuo Ju

AU - Daimon, Masao

AU - Miyazaki, Sakiko

AU - Kawata, Takayuki

AU - Morimoto-Ichikawa, Ryoko

AU - Maruyama, Masaki

AU - Ohmura, Hirotoshi

AU - Miyauchi, Katsumi

AU - Lee, Seitetsu L.

AU - Daida, Hiroyuki

PY - 2015/6/2

Y1 - 2015/6/2

N2 - Background: The development of clinical symptoms is associated with cardiovascular events in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). Thus, early diagnosis of AS is clinically important. However, there are few data on symptom status or the severity of AS when patients are first diagnosed, or on how AS is detected in routine practice. We aimed to investigate when and how AS patients are first diagnosed in our hospital. Methods: We retrospectively enrolled 198 AS patients diagnosed from 1989 to 2009, and identified their symptoms and AS severity at the time of the first diagnosis. We also assessed the reasons why they came to the hospital based on their medical records. Results: Of the 198 patients, 82 (41.6%) had voluntarily visited or been referred to our hospital after developing clinical symptoms (Symptomatic group). The remaining 116 patients (58.4%) had been asymptomatic, and cardiovascular disease was suspected during an annual or occasional health checkup (Asymptomatic group). The initial findings in the Asymptomatic group that led to the diagnosis of AS were: a systolic murmur on auscultation (62%), abnormal electrocardiography (27%), or abnormal echocardiography (11%). The Symptomatic group had significantly greater AS severity and an increased left ventricular mass index, and experienced more cardiac events (valve replacement or cardiac death) during the follow-up period. Conclusions: About 40% of the AS patients in this study were not diagnosed until they developed clinical symptoms, suggesting that many other patients in the community might have a latent risk of cardiovascular events. Auscultation plays an important role in the early diagnosis of AS.

AB - Background: The development of clinical symptoms is associated with cardiovascular events in patients with aortic stenosis (AS). Thus, early diagnosis of AS is clinically important. However, there are few data on symptom status or the severity of AS when patients are first diagnosed, or on how AS is detected in routine practice. We aimed to investigate when and how AS patients are first diagnosed in our hospital. Methods: We retrospectively enrolled 198 AS patients diagnosed from 1989 to 2009, and identified their symptoms and AS severity at the time of the first diagnosis. We also assessed the reasons why they came to the hospital based on their medical records. Results: Of the 198 patients, 82 (41.6%) had voluntarily visited or been referred to our hospital after developing clinical symptoms (Symptomatic group). The remaining 116 patients (58.4%) had been asymptomatic, and cardiovascular disease was suspected during an annual or occasional health checkup (Asymptomatic group). The initial findings in the Asymptomatic group that led to the diagnosis of AS were: a systolic murmur on auscultation (62%), abnormal electrocardiography (27%), or abnormal echocardiography (11%). The Symptomatic group had significantly greater AS severity and an increased left ventricular mass index, and experienced more cardiac events (valve replacement or cardiac death) during the follow-up period. Conclusions: About 40% of the AS patients in this study were not diagnosed until they developed clinical symptoms, suggesting that many other patients in the community might have a latent risk of cardiovascular events. Auscultation plays an important role in the early diagnosis of AS.

KW - Aortic stenosis

KW - Auscultation

KW - Diagnosis

KW - Symptom

KW - Valve

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84947344853&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84947344853&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007

DO - 10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.10.007

M3 - Article

C2 - 26603322

AN - SCOPUS:84947344853

JO - Journal of cardiography. Supplement

JF - Journal of cardiography. Supplement

SN - 0914-5087

ER -