Monomeric immunoglobulin A protects glomerulus against polymeric immunoglobulin A immune complex in experimental immunoglobulin A nephropathy

Ann Chen, Lai Fa Sheu, Shian Lin Ding, Wei Hwa Lee

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Polymeric (p) IgA constitutes 13% of total serum IgA, whereas monomeric (m) IgA represents the other 87%. pIgA tends to form complexes in the circulation that eventually localize in the glomerulus. mIgA is a nonprecipitable antibody. When complexed with an antigen in vivo, the circulating mIgA immune complex (IC) thus formed does not deposit in the glomerulus. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the influence of mIgA on the formation of pIgA-IC and subsequent glomerular deposition of the IC in an experimental model of IgA nephropathy. The influence of mIgA anti- dinitrophenyl (DNP) on pIgA anti-DNP/DNP-conjugated BSA (BSA-DNP) IC formation was assessed by double diffusion test end competition PAGE in combination with autoradiography. Only the BSA-DNP, a model antigen of relatively low molecular mass, was radiolabeled and monitored throughout the latter experiment. An analysis of clearance kinetics (1 and 6 hours) of the antigen using 4-week-old female BALB/c mice, and a series of renal studies were performed after intravenous injection with a single dose of combined pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP. As demonstrated by the double diffusion test, addition of mIgA anti-DNP resulted in suppression of the precipitating reaction of pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP. This effect was confirmed by PAGE for size determination of the BSA-DNP which had been complexed with either pIgA anti-DNP or a mixture of pIgA anti-DNP and mIgA anti-DNP. The clearance kinetics studies showed that the elimination of BSA- DNP injected with pIgA anti-DNP was prolonged in the presence of mIgA anti- DNP in a partially dose-dependent manner. The experimental mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed less hematuria (p <0.005) than mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP (positive control) when examined 1 hour after injection. Immunofluorescence study of the renal tissue of mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed a suppressed glomerular localization of IgA and third component of complement, as compared with those injected with pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone. Similarly, a significant decrease of glomerular BSA-DNP deposits was observed in mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP compared with those receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone, as demonstrated by light microscopic autoradiography. These findings indicate that a high dose of specific mIgA was capable of modulating glomerular deposition of the pIgA-IC in this animal model of IgAN.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)737-746
Number of pages10
JournalLaboratory Investigation
Volume74
Issue number4
Publication statusPublished - Apr 1996
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

IGA Glomerulonephritis
Antigen-Antibody Complex
Immunoglobulin A
Autoradiography
Antigens
Kidney
Hematuria
Intravenous Injections
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Theoretical Models
Animal Models
Light
Injections
Antibodies
Serum

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine

Cite this

Monomeric immunoglobulin A protects glomerulus against polymeric immunoglobulin A immune complex in experimental immunoglobulin A nephropathy. / Chen, Ann; Sheu, Lai Fa; Ding, Shian Lin; Lee, Wei Hwa.

In: Laboratory Investigation, Vol. 74, No. 4, 04.1996, p. 737-746.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{a4509ed075cd4291ba90c6b1dd663c68,
title = "Monomeric immunoglobulin A protects glomerulus against polymeric immunoglobulin A immune complex in experimental immunoglobulin A nephropathy",
abstract = "Polymeric (p) IgA constitutes 13{\%} of total serum IgA, whereas monomeric (m) IgA represents the other 87{\%}. pIgA tends to form complexes in the circulation that eventually localize in the glomerulus. mIgA is a nonprecipitable antibody. When complexed with an antigen in vivo, the circulating mIgA immune complex (IC) thus formed does not deposit in the glomerulus. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the influence of mIgA on the formation of pIgA-IC and subsequent glomerular deposition of the IC in an experimental model of IgA nephropathy. The influence of mIgA anti- dinitrophenyl (DNP) on pIgA anti-DNP/DNP-conjugated BSA (BSA-DNP) IC formation was assessed by double diffusion test end competition PAGE in combination with autoradiography. Only the BSA-DNP, a model antigen of relatively low molecular mass, was radiolabeled and monitored throughout the latter experiment. An analysis of clearance kinetics (1 and 6 hours) of the antigen using 4-week-old female BALB/c mice, and a series of renal studies were performed after intravenous injection with a single dose of combined pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP. As demonstrated by the double diffusion test, addition of mIgA anti-DNP resulted in suppression of the precipitating reaction of pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP. This effect was confirmed by PAGE for size determination of the BSA-DNP which had been complexed with either pIgA anti-DNP or a mixture of pIgA anti-DNP and mIgA anti-DNP. The clearance kinetics studies showed that the elimination of BSA- DNP injected with pIgA anti-DNP was prolonged in the presence of mIgA anti- DNP in a partially dose-dependent manner. The experimental mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed less hematuria (p <0.005) than mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP (positive control) when examined 1 hour after injection. Immunofluorescence study of the renal tissue of mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed a suppressed glomerular localization of IgA and third component of complement, as compared with those injected with pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone. Similarly, a significant decrease of glomerular BSA-DNP deposits was observed in mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP compared with those receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone, as demonstrated by light microscopic autoradiography. These findings indicate that a high dose of specific mIgA was capable of modulating glomerular deposition of the pIgA-IC in this animal model of IgAN.",
author = "Ann Chen and Sheu, {Lai Fa} and Ding, {Shian Lin} and Lee, {Wei Hwa}",
year = "1996",
month = "4",
language = "English",
volume = "74",
pages = "737--746",
journal = "Laboratory Investigation",
issn = "0023-6837",
publisher = "Nature Publishing Group",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Monomeric immunoglobulin A protects glomerulus against polymeric immunoglobulin A immune complex in experimental immunoglobulin A nephropathy

AU - Chen, Ann

AU - Sheu, Lai Fa

AU - Ding, Shian Lin

AU - Lee, Wei Hwa

PY - 1996/4

Y1 - 1996/4

N2 - Polymeric (p) IgA constitutes 13% of total serum IgA, whereas monomeric (m) IgA represents the other 87%. pIgA tends to form complexes in the circulation that eventually localize in the glomerulus. mIgA is a nonprecipitable antibody. When complexed with an antigen in vivo, the circulating mIgA immune complex (IC) thus formed does not deposit in the glomerulus. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the influence of mIgA on the formation of pIgA-IC and subsequent glomerular deposition of the IC in an experimental model of IgA nephropathy. The influence of mIgA anti- dinitrophenyl (DNP) on pIgA anti-DNP/DNP-conjugated BSA (BSA-DNP) IC formation was assessed by double diffusion test end competition PAGE in combination with autoradiography. Only the BSA-DNP, a model antigen of relatively low molecular mass, was radiolabeled and monitored throughout the latter experiment. An analysis of clearance kinetics (1 and 6 hours) of the antigen using 4-week-old female BALB/c mice, and a series of renal studies were performed after intravenous injection with a single dose of combined pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP. As demonstrated by the double diffusion test, addition of mIgA anti-DNP resulted in suppression of the precipitating reaction of pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP. This effect was confirmed by PAGE for size determination of the BSA-DNP which had been complexed with either pIgA anti-DNP or a mixture of pIgA anti-DNP and mIgA anti-DNP. The clearance kinetics studies showed that the elimination of BSA- DNP injected with pIgA anti-DNP was prolonged in the presence of mIgA anti- DNP in a partially dose-dependent manner. The experimental mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed less hematuria (p <0.005) than mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP (positive control) when examined 1 hour after injection. Immunofluorescence study of the renal tissue of mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed a suppressed glomerular localization of IgA and third component of complement, as compared with those injected with pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone. Similarly, a significant decrease of glomerular BSA-DNP deposits was observed in mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP compared with those receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone, as demonstrated by light microscopic autoradiography. These findings indicate that a high dose of specific mIgA was capable of modulating glomerular deposition of the pIgA-IC in this animal model of IgAN.

AB - Polymeric (p) IgA constitutes 13% of total serum IgA, whereas monomeric (m) IgA represents the other 87%. pIgA tends to form complexes in the circulation that eventually localize in the glomerulus. mIgA is a nonprecipitable antibody. When complexed with an antigen in vivo, the circulating mIgA immune complex (IC) thus formed does not deposit in the glomerulus. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the influence of mIgA on the formation of pIgA-IC and subsequent glomerular deposition of the IC in an experimental model of IgA nephropathy. The influence of mIgA anti- dinitrophenyl (DNP) on pIgA anti-DNP/DNP-conjugated BSA (BSA-DNP) IC formation was assessed by double diffusion test end competition PAGE in combination with autoradiography. Only the BSA-DNP, a model antigen of relatively low molecular mass, was radiolabeled and monitored throughout the latter experiment. An analysis of clearance kinetics (1 and 6 hours) of the antigen using 4-week-old female BALB/c mice, and a series of renal studies were performed after intravenous injection with a single dose of combined pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP. As demonstrated by the double diffusion test, addition of mIgA anti-DNP resulted in suppression of the precipitating reaction of pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP. This effect was confirmed by PAGE for size determination of the BSA-DNP which had been complexed with either pIgA anti-DNP or a mixture of pIgA anti-DNP and mIgA anti-DNP. The clearance kinetics studies showed that the elimination of BSA- DNP injected with pIgA anti-DNP was prolonged in the presence of mIgA anti- DNP in a partially dose-dependent manner. The experimental mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed less hematuria (p <0.005) than mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP (positive control) when examined 1 hour after injection. Immunofluorescence study of the renal tissue of mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP showed a suppressed glomerular localization of IgA and third component of complement, as compared with those injected with pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone. Similarly, a significant decrease of glomerular BSA-DNP deposits was observed in mice receiving pIgA anti-DNP, BSA-DNP, and mIgA anti-DNP compared with those receiving pIgA anti-DNP and BSA-DNP alone, as demonstrated by light microscopic autoradiography. These findings indicate that a high dose of specific mIgA was capable of modulating glomerular deposition of the pIgA-IC in this animal model of IgAN.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0029869439&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0029869439&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 74

SP - 737

EP - 746

JO - Laboratory Investigation

JF - Laboratory Investigation

SN - 0023-6837

IS - 4

ER -