A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer

林 增熙, 陳 榮楷, 季 匡華, 顏 上惠(Sang H. Yen), 羅 世薰(Su S. Lo), 吳 銘芳, 黃 偉修(Wei S. Hwang), 彭汪 嘉康(Jacqueline Whang-Peng), 劉 敏(M. Liu), 陳 光耀(Kuang Y. Chen)

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Background: Cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil and high dose leucovorin PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy has been reported to be highly active in treatment of head and neck cancer patients. However overall toxicity was high. Before considering PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy for a phase III study in Taiwan, a pilot study of PFL (H DLV) chemotherapy is necessary.
Methods: Patients with histologically proven squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck, American Journal Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage TV, previouly untreated, were eligible for study. Cisplatin 20mg/m^2, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) 800mg/m^2, leucovorin (LV) 500mg/m^2 were given as a continuous intravenous infusion over 96 hours and the cycle repeated every 28 days. Patients were evaluated for the response and toxicity.
Results: Fourteen patients were studied. There were 1 CR (7%) and 8 PR (57%) with a overall response rate (CR+PR) of 64%. The major toxicities were mucositis and myelosuppression. Grade III to IV mucositis occurred in 35% of patients. No treatment related death occurred.
Conclusion: Although PFL (HDLV) is an active chemotherapy regiment in head and neck cancer, but its toxicity appears to be excessive. Other PFL regimens that may be equally active but much less toxic should be considered for further evaluation in future studies.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)263-268
Number of pages6
Journal放射治療與腫瘤學
Volume1
Issue number3
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1994
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Leucovorin
Head and Neck Neoplasms
Fluorouracil
Cisplatin
Drug Therapy
Mucositis
Poisons
Taiwan
Intravenous Infusions
Therapeutics
Neoplasms

Keywords

  • Cisplatin
  • 5FU
  • Leucovorin
  • 頭頸癌治療。
  • 5-FU
  • leucovorin
  • head and neck cancer

Cite this

林增熙, 陳榮楷, 季匡華, 顏上惠(Sang H Y, 羅世薰(Su S L, 吳銘芳, ... 陳光耀(Kuang Y C (1994). A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. 放射治療與腫瘤學, 1(3), 263-268. https://doi.org/10.6316/TRO/199401

A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. / 林增熙; 陳榮楷; 季匡華; 顏上惠(Sang H. Yen); 羅世薰(Su S. Lo); 吳銘芳; 黃偉修(Wei S. Hwang); 彭汪嘉康(Jacqueline Whang-Peng); 劉敏(M. Liu); 陳光耀(Kuang Y. Chen).

In: 放射治療與腫瘤學, Vol. 1, No. 3, 1994, p. 263-268.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

林增熙, 陳榮楷, 季匡華, 顏上惠(SangHY, 羅世薰(SuSL, 吳銘芳, 黃偉修(WeiSH, 彭汪嘉康(JacquelineW-P, 劉敏(ML & 陳光耀(KuangYC 1994, 'A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer', 放射治療與腫瘤學, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 263-268. https://doi.org/10.6316/TRO/199401
林增熙 ; 陳榮楷 ; 季匡華 ; 顏上惠(Sang H. Yen) ; 羅世薰(Su S. Lo) ; 吳銘芳 ; 黃偉修(Wei S. Hwang) ; 彭汪嘉康(Jacqueline Whang-Peng) ; 劉敏(M. Liu) ; 陳光耀(Kuang Y. Chen). / A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. In: 放射治療與腫瘤學. 1994 ; Vol. 1, No. 3. pp. 263-268.
@article{dba34a11e4564597a3e3c0a5d5fa2a8b,
title = "A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer",
abstract = "Background: Cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil and high dose leucovorin PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy has been reported to be highly active in treatment of head and neck cancer patients. However overall toxicity was high. Before considering PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy for a phase III study in Taiwan, a pilot study of PFL (H DLV) chemotherapy is necessary.Methods: Patients with histologically proven squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck, American Journal Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage TV, previouly untreated, were eligible for study. Cisplatin 20mg/m^2, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) 800mg/m^2, leucovorin (LV) 500mg/m^2 were given as a continuous intravenous infusion over 96 hours and the cycle repeated every 28 days. Patients were evaluated for the response and toxicity.Results: Fourteen patients were studied. There were 1 CR (7{\%}) and 8 PR (57{\%}) with a overall response rate (CR+PR) of 64{\%}. The major toxicities were mucositis and myelosuppression. Grade III to IV mucositis occurred in 35{\%} of patients. No treatment related death occurred.Conclusion: Although PFL (HDLV) is an active chemotherapy regiment in head and neck cancer, but its toxicity appears to be excessive. Other PFL regimens that may be equally active but much less toxic should be considered for further evaluation in future studies.",
keywords = "Cisplatin, 5FU, Leucovorin, 頭頸癌治療。, 5-FU, leucovorin, head and neck cancer",
author = "增熙 林 and 榮楷 陳 and 匡華 季 and 顏, {上惠(Sang H. Yen)} and 羅, {世薰(Su S. Lo)} and 銘芳 吳 and 黃, {偉修(Wei S. Hwang)} and 彭汪, {嘉康(Jacqueline Whang-Peng)} and 劉, {敏(M. Liu)} and 陳, {光耀(Kuang Y. Chen)}",
year = "1994",
doi = "10.6316/TRO/199401",
language = "English",
volume = "1",
pages = "263--268",
journal = "放射治療與腫瘤學",
issn = "1023-988x",
publisher = "台灣放射腫瘤學會",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A Pilot Study of Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and High Dose Leucovorin in Chinese Patients with Head and Neck Cancer

AU - 林, 增熙

AU - 陳, 榮楷

AU - 季, 匡華

AU - 顏, 上惠(Sang H. Yen)

AU - 羅, 世薰(Su S. Lo)

AU - 吳, 銘芳

AU - 黃, 偉修(Wei S. Hwang)

AU - 彭汪, 嘉康(Jacqueline Whang-Peng)

AU - 劉, 敏(M. Liu)

AU - 陳, 光耀(Kuang Y. Chen)

PY - 1994

Y1 - 1994

N2 - Background: Cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil and high dose leucovorin PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy has been reported to be highly active in treatment of head and neck cancer patients. However overall toxicity was high. Before considering PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy for a phase III study in Taiwan, a pilot study of PFL (H DLV) chemotherapy is necessary.Methods: Patients with histologically proven squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck, American Journal Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage TV, previouly untreated, were eligible for study. Cisplatin 20mg/m^2, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) 800mg/m^2, leucovorin (LV) 500mg/m^2 were given as a continuous intravenous infusion over 96 hours and the cycle repeated every 28 days. Patients were evaluated for the response and toxicity.Results: Fourteen patients were studied. There were 1 CR (7%) and 8 PR (57%) with a overall response rate (CR+PR) of 64%. The major toxicities were mucositis and myelosuppression. Grade III to IV mucositis occurred in 35% of patients. No treatment related death occurred.Conclusion: Although PFL (HDLV) is an active chemotherapy regiment in head and neck cancer, but its toxicity appears to be excessive. Other PFL regimens that may be equally active but much less toxic should be considered for further evaluation in future studies.

AB - Background: Cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil and high dose leucovorin PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy has been reported to be highly active in treatment of head and neck cancer patients. However overall toxicity was high. Before considering PFL (HDLV) chemotherapy for a phase III study in Taiwan, a pilot study of PFL (H DLV) chemotherapy is necessary.Methods: Patients with histologically proven squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck, American Journal Committee on Cancer (AJCC) stage TV, previouly untreated, were eligible for study. Cisplatin 20mg/m^2, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) 800mg/m^2, leucovorin (LV) 500mg/m^2 were given as a continuous intravenous infusion over 96 hours and the cycle repeated every 28 days. Patients were evaluated for the response and toxicity.Results: Fourteen patients were studied. There were 1 CR (7%) and 8 PR (57%) with a overall response rate (CR+PR) of 64%. The major toxicities were mucositis and myelosuppression. Grade III to IV mucositis occurred in 35% of patients. No treatment related death occurred.Conclusion: Although PFL (HDLV) is an active chemotherapy regiment in head and neck cancer, but its toxicity appears to be excessive. Other PFL regimens that may be equally active but much less toxic should be considered for further evaluation in future studies.

KW - Cisplatin

KW - 5FU

KW - Leucovorin

KW - 頭頸癌治療。

KW - 5-FU

KW - leucovorin

KW - head and neck cancer

U2 - 10.6316/TRO/199401

DO - 10.6316/TRO/199401

M3 - Article

VL - 1

SP - 263

EP - 268

JO - 放射治療與腫瘤學

JF - 放射治療與腫瘤學

SN - 1023-988x

IS - 3

ER -