Projects per year
- 1991-1996 Washington University in St. Louis, Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology, Postdoctoral.
- 1974.08-1987.08 University of Pittsburgh, (Pittsburgh, PA). Philosophy of Science and Psychological Anthropology. Ph.D.
- 1971.08-1973.12 Indiana University, (Bloomington, IN). BA., Pre-Med.
- 1967-1971 St. Louis University High School.
Current Employment: Joint Appointment (Taipei Medical University and Academia Sinica)
Primary Appointments (Taipei Medical University):
- Philosophy of Mind Chaired Professorship (August 1, 2012- )
- Dean, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (August 1, 2014-)
- Director, TMU-Shuang Ho Hospital, Brain and Consciousness Research Center (March 1, 2015- )
- Advisor, Office of Research, Shuang Ho Hospital (August 1, 2015- )
- Associate Director, Research Center for Medical Neuroscience (August 1, 2018- )
Secondary Appointment (Academia Sinica):
- Research Fellow, Institute of European and American Studies (January 1, 2013- )
- Consciousness and Cognition (October, 2016- )
Prior Academic Employment:
- 1985-2012 Professor in Graduate Institute of Neuroscience; Principal Investigator in Research Center for Mind, Brain, and Learning.
- 2012-2015 (Offer declined) Associate Dean, College of Science, National Chengchi University
- 2008-2012 Adjunct Professor: Department of Philosophy, National Chung Cheng University (Chiayi, Taiwan)
- 2006-2008 Chief, Office of Academic Evaluation, National Chengchi University
- 1992-2008 Adjunct Professor: Department of Philosophy, National Chengchi University
- 1995-1996 Instructor, Washington University in St. Louis
- 1986-1987 Instructor, University of Pittsburgh
- 1981-1984 Visiting Research Associate, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
- 1980 Instructor, University of Maryland
- 1979 Instructor, Duquesne University
- 1974-1978 Teaching and Research Fellow, University of Pittsburgh
- 2012- Philosophy of Mind-Chaired Professorship, Taipei Medical University
- 2020 Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Taipei Medical University
- 2016 Major External Research Grant Award, Taipei Medical University
- 2014-2015 Wayne G. Basler Chair of Excellence for the Integration of the Arts, Rhetoric, and Science, Eastern Tennessee State University
- 2014 Major External Research Grant Award, Taipei Medical University
- 2012-2015 Distinguished Research Professorship, Institute of Neuroscience, National Chengchi University (Offer declined.)
- 2012-2013 National Science Council Special Achievement Award
- 2012 Excellence in Research Award, National Chengchi University (The highest award for research bestowed by National Chengchi University.)
- 2012 National Science Council Outstanding Research Award (Taiwan National Science Council/Ministry of Science and Technology, highest award for achievement in research.)
- 2011-2012 National Science Council Special Achievement Award
- 2010-2011 Outstanding Research Award, National Chengchi University
- 2007 Scholarly Research Internationalization Award, National Chengchi University
- 2006 Innovative Course Design Award, Ministry of Education
- 2002-2003 Outstanding Pedagogy Award, National Chengchi University
- 1984-1985 Pacific-Cultural Foundation Fellow
- 1982-1984 National Institute of Mental Health Fellow
- 1981-1982 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellow
- 1976-1978 National Defense Education Act Fellow
- 1971-1973 Joseph and Frances Morgan-Swain Fellow
- 1967-1971 National Honor Society
- Science and philosophy of consciousness
- Philosophy of Mind
- Cognitive Neuroscience
Recent Published and Forthcoming Manuscripts:
- (In preparation) Baseline alpha-band spectral power differences predict susceptibility to the rubber hand illusion.
- (In preparation) Neuroexistentialism, Eudaimonics, and Positive Illusions.
- (Under review) Indication of Dynamic Neurovascular Coupling from Inconsistency Between EEG and fMRI Indices Across Sleep– Wake States. (Corresponding author)
- (Under review) Thought-related network connectivity predicts sertraline effect on major depressive disorder. (Co-authored with Hsu, Wu, et al.)
- (Under review) Thalamus-SACC-Insula Connection is a Central Neuronal Signature of Consciousness. (Co-authored with Qin, Northoff, et al.)
- (Under review) Intrinsic brain activity of subcortical-cortical sensorimotor system and psychomotor alterations in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. (Co-authored with Martino, Magioncalda, et al.)
- (Under Revision) In search of the minimal self and a metric for consciousness: Intimations from thought insertion and unresponsive wakefulness syndrome.
- 2020 (February) Intrinsic brain activity of subcortical-cortical sensorimotor system and psychomotor alterations in schizophrenia and in bipolar disorder: A preliminary study. Schizophrenia Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2020.01.009
- 2020 (In print) Somebody is home. Cognitive Neuropsychology.
- 2019 (November) Temporal preparation, impulsivity, and short-term memory in depression. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience.
- 2019 (August) Indication of Dynamic Neurovascular Coupling from Inconsistency Between EEG and fMRI Indices Across Sleep-Wake Cycles. Sleep and Biological Rhythms.
- 2019 (May 31). Abnormal functional relationship of sensorimotor network with neurotransmitter-related nuclei via subcortical-cortical loops in manic and depressive phases of bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia Bulletin, ,sbz035, https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbz035 (Co-authored with Martino, Magioncalda, Conio, et al.)
- 2019 (April) Instability of brain connectivity during nonrapid eye movement sleep reflects altered properties of information integration. Human Brain Mapping. https://doi.org/10.1002/hbm.24590 (Co-authored with Kung, Wu, et al.)
- 2018 (July) Strong Circadian Rhythms in the Choroid Plexus: Implications for Sleep-Independent Brain Metabolite Clearance. Journal of experimental neuroscience. https://doi.org/10.1177/1179069518783762 (Co-authored with Myung, Wu, and Simmoneaux)
- 2018 (June) The neurophysiological basis of the discrepancy between objective and subjective sleep during sleep onset period: an EEG-fMRI study. Sleep 41, zsy056, https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsy056 (Corresponding author)
- 2018 (May) Vascular-metabolic and GABAergic inhibitory correlates of neural variability modulation. A combined fMRI and PET study. Neuroscience 379, 142-151, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2018.02.041 (Corresponding author)
- 2018 (March) Measuring Consciousness. Scientific American (Taiwan Edition) 193, 38-42. (Co-authored with P. Tseng, C. Wu, T. Hsu, J. Myung, N. Duncan)
- 2018 (February 15) Abnormal resting state connectivity in a substantia nigra-related striato-thalamo cortical network in a large sample of first-episode drug naïve patients with Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 44(2):419-431. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx067 (Co-authored with Matino, Magioncalda, et al.)
- 2018 (January 13) Too fast or too slow? Time and neuronal variability in bipolar disorder—A combined theoretical and empirical investigation. (Co-authored with Northoff, Magioncalda, et al.) Schizophrenia Bulletin 44(1):54-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/schbul/sbx050
- 2017 (December 12) Switching to the rubber hand. Frontiers in Psychology—Cognitive Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.02172 (Equal contribution and corresponding author)
- 2017 (October) Cerebral blood flow autoregulation is impaired in schizophrenia: A pilot study. Schizophrenia Research 188:63-67. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2017.01.015 (Co-authored with Ku, et al.)
- 2017 (July) Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. London: Academic Press.
- 2017 (July) Rationality and its Contexts. In Hung, T. W., Lane, T. J. Eds. Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. London: Academic Press. Chapter 1, pp. 1-13.
- 2017 (July) Is depressive rumination rational? In Hung, T. W., Lane, T. J. Rationality: Constraints and Contexts. London: Academic Press. Chapter 7, pp. 121-145/
- 2017 (April 2) Philosophy and Psychiatry: Problems, intersections, and new perspectives. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 16(4). https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/philosophy-and-psychiatry-problems-intersections-and-new-perspectives/ (Single author)
- 2017 Timing disownership experiences in the rubber hand illusion. Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications 2(1) 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41235-016-0041-4 (First and corresponding author)
- 2017 (January 5) Attention and memory-driven effects in action studies. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 39, e259. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X15002575 (Corresponding author)
- 2016 (July) The trajectory of self. Cell: Trends in cognitive sciences. 20, 7, 481-482. (First and corresponding author).
- 2016 Spontaneous activity in default-mode network predicts ascription of self-relatedness to stimuli. Social Cognitive Affective Neuroscience 11, 4, 693-702. (Co-authored with P. Qin, G. Northoff, et al.)
- 2016 Resting state glutamate predicts pre-stimulus alpha increase during self-relatedness - A combined EEG-MRS study on rest-self overlap. Social Neuroscience 11, 3, 249-263 (Corresponding author)
- 2015 Self, belonging, and conscious experience: A critique of subjectivity theories of consciousness. In R. Gennaro, Ed. Disturbed Consciousness: New Essays on Psychopathology and Theories of Consciousness. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. pp. 103-140. (Single author)
- 2015 GABAA Receptor Deficits Predict Recovery in Patients With Disorders of Consciousness: A Preliminary Multimodal [11C] Flumazenil PET and fMRI Study. Human Brain Mapping 36, 10, 3867-3877 (Co-authored with P. Qin, G. Northoff, et al.)
- 2014 When actions feel alien: An explanatory model. In Hung, T. W. Ed. Communicative Action. Springer Science+Business Media. pp. 53-74. (Single author)
- 2012 Timing the rubber hand illusion: Owning the rubber hand involves substitution, not addition. Perception (Supplement), 41, 212. (Co-authored with Su-Ling Yeh and An-Yi Chang.
- 2012 Toward an Explanatory Framework for Mental Ownership. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 11(2): 251-286. (Single author)
- 2011 Self-Consciousness and Immunity. The Journal of Philosophy 108, 2: 78-99. (First and corresponding author)
- 2010 The Threshold of Wakefulness, the Experience of Control, and Theory Development. Consciousness and Cognition 19: 1095-1096. (Co-authored with C. M. Yang)
- 2010 What Subjective Experiences Determine the Perception of Falling Asleep During the Sleep Onset Period? Consciousness and Cognition 19: 1084-1092. (Co-authored with C. M. Yang et al.)
- 2010 The Ethics of False Belief. EurAmerica Vol. 40, 3: 591-633. (Single author)
- 2010 Issues at the Intersection of Ethics, Evolution, and Neuroscience. EurAmerica 40, 3: 519-527. (Single author)
- 2010 Mental Ownership and Higher-Order Thought Analysis (July) 70, 3: 496-501. (First and corresponding author)
- 2009 Higher-Order Thought and Pathological Selves: The Case of Somatoparaphrenia. Analysis (October) 69: 661-668. (Corresponding author and equal contribution)
- 2008 Higher-Order Thought and the Problem of Radical Confabulation The Southern Journal of Philosophy XLVI (1): 69-98. (First and corresponding author)
- National Defense Education Act Fellowship (USA), 1976-1978.
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship (USA), 1981-1982.
- National Institute of Mental Health Fellowship (USA), 1982-1984. (1 F31 MH 08417-01)
- Pacific-Cultural Foundation Fellowship, 1984-1985.
- Washington University in St. Louis (St. Louis, MO, USA) Fellowship, 1991-1992 & 1995-1996.
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2008-2011. Title:“Self and Conscious Experience.”Grant Number: 97-2410-H-004-154-MY3. Amount: 70,290 (USD).
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2011-2014. Title:“Belongingness: the mental ownership theory and research program.”Grant Number: 100-2410-H-004-139-MY3. Amount: 83,419 (USD)
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2014. Title:“Does neural activity during reward predict self-relatedness?”Grant Number: 102-2420-H-038-002-MY2. Amount: 79, 354 (USD)
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2015. Title:“Self, Consciousness, and Neurophilosophy.”Grant Number: 102-2420-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 67, 290 (USD)
- PI—Taipei Medical University, Laboratory Start-Up Grant, 2013-2014.
- PI—National Science Council Research Grant, 2013-2016. Title: “Cultivation of Young Scholars: Philosophy of Consciousness.” Grant Number 102-2420-H-038-004-MY3. Amount: 350,290 (USD)
- PI—Taipei Medical University, Research Team Grant (Brain and Consciousness), 2013-2015, Amount: 58,064 (USD)
- Co-PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2015. “The neurophysiological basis of consciousness transition during sleep onset period: an fMRI study.” MOST 103-2420-H-004-MY2. Amount: 72,096 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2015.“Predictions of therapeutic effects of Zolpidem in disorders of consciousness patients—a multimodal imaging study.” Grant Number: MOST 103-2811-H-038 -002. Amount: 29,742 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2014-2017. Title:“An fMRI Study of Moral Judgment: The modulating effects of emotion and religious belief.” Grant Number: MOST 104-2420-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 122,806 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2016-2017. Title:“Predicting Therapeutic Effects of Zolpidem in Disorders of Consciousness Patients.” Grant Number: MOST 105-2410-H-038-004-MY1. Amount: 33,612.903 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2016-2019. Title:“A Multi-Modal Investigation of Self-Consciousness in Major Depressive Disorder.” Grant Number: MOST 105-2632-H-038-001-MY3. Amount: 218,935 (USD).
- PI—Ministry of Science and Technology Research Grant, 2017-2020. Title:“Predicting Therapeutic Effects of Zolpidem in Disorders of Consciousness Patients.” Grant Number: 106-2410-H-038-003-MY3. Amount: 150,000 (USD).
Research Output per year
Abnormal Functional Relationship of Sensorimotor Network With Neurotransmitter-Related Nuclei via Subcortical-Cortical Loops in Manic and Depressive Phases of Bipolar DisorderMartino, M., Magioncalda, P., Conio, B., Capobianco, L., Russo, D., Adavastro, G., Tumati, S., Tan, Z., Lee, H-C., Lane, T. J., Amore, M., Inglese, M. & Northoff, G., Jan 4 2020, In : Schizophrenia Bulletin. 46, 1, p. 163-174 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Intrinsic brain activity of subcortical-cortical sensorimotor system and psychomotor alterations in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: A preliminary studyMagioncalda, P., Martino, M., Conio, B., Lee, H-C., Ku, H-L., Chen, C-J., Inglese, M., Amore, M., Lane, T. J. & Northoff, G., Feb 2020, In : Schizophrenia Research.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Indication of dynamic neurovascular coupling from inconsistency between EEG and fMRI indices across sleep–wake statesWu, C. W., Tsai, P. J., Chen, S. C. J., Li, C. W., Hsu, A. L., Wu, H. Y., Ko, Y. T., Hung, P. C., Chang, C. Y., Lin, C. P., Lane, T. J. & Chen, C. Y., Oct 1 2019, In : Sleep and Biological Rhythms. 17, 4, p. 423-431 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Instability of brain connectivity during nonrapid eye movement sleep reflects altered properties of information integrationKung, Y. C., Li, C. W., Chen, S., Chen, S. C. J., Lo, C. Y. Z., Lane, T. J., Biswal, B., Wu, C. W. & Lin, C. P., Aug 1 2019, In : Human Brain Mapping. 40, 11, p. 3192-3202 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article